This is my first attempt at a cardamon or Thyme cake, I love eating all kinds of cake but have never made one of these savory ingredients before! I have chosen to use a simple lemon cake recipe since as though its my first time, gently does it! But which is going to be the best – Lemon and Cardamon, or Lemon and Thyme???
This recipe is adapted from BBC The Good Food Lemon Poppy Seed Cake, a trusted website, and this recipe was voted 4/5.
- 175g butter
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 4 lemons, zested and 2 juiced
- 3 eggs
- 20 green cardamon pods – seeds removed and crushed ( this works out to be about a teaspoon of crushed cardamon)
- 125g pot natural yoghurt
For the icing
- 200g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (from the lemons above)
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease and line either a 20cm square tin, or two smaller loaf tins if doing both cakes.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add all the rest of the ingredients and beat until combined. Spoon into the tin and smooth over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 mins. Or 35 – 40 if doing two smaller cakes. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out, remove the parchment and leave to completely cool.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Mix in the lemon juice to make the icing, double cream thickness, and pour, generously, over the cake and leave to set.
Well…..even though I divided this mixture into two smaller cakes, they still required the same cooking time! The batter was very light and airy, so I was surprised they took the 40 mins to cook. These little cakes looked fluffy, light and smelt of lovey light lemony aromas, the inside was actually a little squishy, this must be from the amount of yogurt and lemon juice in the recipe. The flavors were delicious, really strong lemon with a hint of thyme, I would actually increase the amount of thyme next time. The cardamon really came through, so depends how much you like it, I might do 15 pods instead of 20. I think both cakes needed the icing drizzle however, the brightness of this brought out the zesty flavours.
looking back over the recipe – I made a boo boo – I put in the juice of all 4 lemons…no wounder they were a little squishy!!!