Although I have called this a stew, as it eats like a stew, it’s made in minutes! It’s a super speedy dish, and with a two month old to look after, that’s exactly what I need right now! We eat this just as it is, but it would be delicious served with fluffy rice, or even over pasta. It could be made meaty by adding beef mince, or keep it veggie and add quorn mince or chicken style pieces. It is a base dish that can be rocked up in many different ways. i wounder if I should challenge myself to think of as many different variations as possible?
here we go, get ready for some speedy cooking…..
– 1 tin of black beans, including the liquid – 1 tin of chopped tomatoes – Half and onion, chopped
– 1 teaspoon of bouillon stock – 1 teaspoon of ground coriander – 1 teaspoon of chipotle chilli flakes
– 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
– 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup – Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add a splash of veg oil to a sauce pan, pop on high heat and add the chopped onion. Cook the onion for a minute until it starts to soften and take on a little colour, this will add some rich flavour to the dish.
2. Add in the tomatoes and beans, juice and all. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
3. Add the bouillon, spices and tomato ketchup, stir and taste, then add salt and pepper to suit your taste. I like a lot of black pepper here!
4. Serve in big bowls and add extra toppings as you like. I served my speedy stew with cheddar cheese, and greek yoghurt to cool the heat of the dish. Flat bread on the side to mop up the juices and scoop up all those tasty beans!